Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Trails Grandpa<3

Thursday, 10-22-2008.
I was about to go teach talon some hip hop when my dad called me. It was about 7pm. I knew something was up because he doesn't call me often. He told me that Grandpa wasn't doing too well and that he had pneumonia. He Told me he was going to be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days, then they were going to let him go home so he can either pull out of it there or pass away. After he explained the situation, he told me he loved me and the phone call was over. I didn't know how to feel. It was a lot to take in. Not only the fact that my dad called me with a sincere tone and said he loved me...... but that my grandpa was almost gone.

Friday 10-23-2008
The morning already started off pretty crappy when i almost ran out of gas on my way to work. Then realized i forgot the keys WHEN I GOT TO WORK so i had to borrow Debbies car to go get them from my house.
When i got back to work with the keys my mom called. She told me to get to the hospital as soon as i could as my grandpa wasn't going to last through the day. I got really frustrated because i was already out of gas and wasn't sure i could leave. Yada yada Debbie was amazing and gave me money for gas and helped me on my way.
When i got to the hospital my mom met me in the lobby where she took me back to ICU. There i met my dad and he took me back to see him. He wrapped his arm around me as we walked back to his room. My dad never put his arm around me. His eyes were red and glossy from tears. Grandpa was asleep in the bed, with a machine breathing for him. Grandma was right by his side.. holding his hand. She tried waking him so i could talk to him but he was out of it. Dad told me to say good bye as he and grandma stepped aside. I stepped up to his bedside, and looked at him lying there. I put my hand on his warm bald head, and leaned over to his ear. I whispered, "Hey Gramp. I love you. I just want you to know i'm here and i love you. I'll be seein ya okay?." I then grabbed his hand where he ever so gently squose back. Letting me know he heard.
I went back to the waiting room where i hugged and cried with many family members i haven't seen in so long. After about 20 minutes they called everyone into his room. He was awake but barely audible. We all let him know we were there and that he can finally relax. Just relax. But gramp insisted on going into the kitchen or the couch to visit. "Please, let me just go on the couch" he cried. My uncle and grandma told him to lay back and just sleep.
Everyone in the room was sobbing. My dad included. My brothers. All of these very tough guys just in tears. It was so strange, but beautiful. My grandmother and aunt started to sing Hymns.. my grandma NEVER leaving his side the whole time. I had forgotten how beautiful her voice was. It really struck me hard.
After the room had stopped singing "Till we meet" my grandpa uttered the words, in a very relieved tone... "I'm Home..". We all smiled and cried some more. Grandpa was home. My grandma leaned over and kissed him and started singing... "Happy trails to you.. until we meet again.." Ten minutes later.. he was gone. He had passed away surrounded by his family, comfortable in a warm bed.
"Thanks for the memories" said my grandmother in the warmest, softest voice. She then leaned over and kissed him and whispered in his ear.

There are many details about this day i could never describe on paper. But if there is one thing i can say about it, is that if there were any small doubt in my mind that there was a heaven at all, my grandfathers words "i'm home" smothered those doubts. Of course there really weren't any doubts.. but now everything has been solidifed.

We all remained in the room for a while after his passing.. and we could all feel the joy that was coming from the other side in the rejoicing of my grandfathers return.

"See you soon gramps. I love you. You were and are the perfect example of strength, courage, and integrity. Happy trails gramps.. happy trails."

2 comments:

@emllewellyn said...

I <3 you.

Andrea said...

Beautifully written. My heart is just full of emotions for you. I don't even know what to say. What a beautiful story. What a neat experience for you. I love you.